Saturday, December 25, 2010

Othello

So, I was pretty disappointed in Wide Sargasso Sea, but I thoroughly enjoyed Othello! I've never read it before and now I think it's one of my favorite Shakespearean plays. I felt more pulled in to the story than almost any other of his works and the characters were all fascinating. I truly felt for Othello. The war and military aspect of this play took a back seat to the emotional turmoil suffered by Othello and Desdemona, and the cruel cunning of Iago. It was no easier to read than any other Shakespeare, but the time seemed to pass more quickly because I was so invested in the characters, their motives, and wondering what the ultimate conclusion would be. I highly recommend it, even if you don't usually like Shakespeare!

This was a good week for reading, considering I have a two-week vacation from work and I was stuck with the family for several days. Moving on to #21, The Grapes of Wrath. So far, it's slow but interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment