Sunday, December 19, 2010

King Lear

Well, that was quick.

I've determined that King Lear is one of those Shakespearean plays that I enjoy for the story, not for the language. It's definitely an interesting descent into madness, but the language doesn't have the beauty and poetry that some of his other work has. It definitely held my interest a lot more than the other tragedies I've read. All of the characters had a nice development. Of course, everyone dies at the end, like most tragedies. It took nearly four acts for someone to finally get killed, though.

All in all, I thought it was pretty good--I'd recommend it for anyone who enjoys Shakespeare, but for some impressive quotes and poetry, go for one of the comedies, or maybe some sonnets.

The next one is #45, Wide Sargasso Sea, by Jean Rhys. I'm really excited about this one! I've never read anything by her and the story sounds fascinating. I'll probably head to Half-Price or Book People tomorrow to find a copy. Yay for holiday gift cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment